My cute, little students amaze me every day. Since we started our poetry unit, they've been amazing me even more than usual . I just give them an outline and they produce something like this:
I am an author
I wonder what to write next
I hear the mouse clicking
I see my story on the screen
I want to make it better
I am an author
I feel the rectangular keyboard
I touch the keys
I worry my story won't be good enough
I cry when it dosen't sound right
I am an author
I understand that it won't be perfect
I say "I can do it!"
I dream of my books in "Barnes & Noble"
I am an author
This one almost made me cry:
I am a solder's wife
I wonder if he will come back
I hear gunshots from miles away
I see people getting shot
I want him to meet our new daughter
I am very sad
I feel like my daughter needs her daddy
I touch and pinch myself to make sure im not dreaming
I worry that he will die
I cry when I touch our wedding pictures
I am very emotional
I understand that he wants to fight for our country
I tell my daughter that daddy is on a long trip
I dream of all of us in one small family
I am a solder's wife
Amazing.
Especially when you consider these were written by nine-year-olds.
1 comment:
These are great examples that show we do not give our young children enough credit for having true feelings and comprehension. I hope there is an opportunity for publication. School newsletter? District contest? works like these should be shared.
Post a Comment