I've been wondering about the punctuation of Mother's Day for the past few weeks. Why is the apostrophe before the S, rather than after it? Doesn't this day belong to all the mothers? I found the answer today after I learned about Anna Jarvis, the woman who worked hard to get Mother's Day recognized as a holiday and then campaigned against the holiday once it became a commercialized Hallmark holiday. It was she who insisted that the apostrophe be where it is:
"She was specific about the location of the apostrophe; it was to be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world."-Louisa Taylor
The interesting/sad thing is that she never had any children of her own.
Now on to more cheerful things...
This one time I had this sister who talked about all the wonderful things I had brought to her life on her blog where she always uses the phrase "this one time." Now I'd like to share with you a few of the wonderful things that my Mamasita brought into my life:
- A love of literature (I tried to give credit to my grandma for this once and my mom corrected me)
- A knowledge of how to sew (I still need a ton more practice before I'm going to get to her level, though)
- An example of selfless love
- A knowledge of how to pick out pineapples at the grocery store
- A love of the Gospel
- An addiction to good chocolate (none of that waxy business for us)
- A love of laughter
- And basically a bunch of other things that have to do with love :)
Anna Jarvis would be so proud of the non-Hallmarky cards that she received today.
She got an "authentic" gift certificate (apparently if you write "authentic," it makes it so),
a beautiful card illustrated by my bro-in-law (not his wife, the art major, for some unknown reason),

and a note that was cut up word by word, inspired by some hole-punch circles on my bedroom floor and Elder Scott's talk from Conference.

Love you Mom!
(and I love these *high quality* pics I took on my phone)
2 comments:
I had a wonderful Mother's Day, thank to my sweet family. Bethany, thanks to your blog, my special day has been extended. You are such a sweetie!
BETHANY! I love your blog...will you invite my sllimika@gmail.com account? cause i rarely use this email anymore. thanks!
Post a Comment